Pirates sign six international free agents
The Pirates have announced the signings of six international free agents. Here’s the list, with a brief comment from Director of Latin American Scouting Rene Gayo about each player.
- OF Pedro Lara, 16, Dominican Republic: “Pedro has a medium frame with an athletic build — similar to a young Moises Alou. He is also agressive and competitve on the field and profiles to be an above-average hitter with power potential. He has speed on the bases and exhibits the instincts, athleticism and arm to be a special player in the outfield.”
- 3B Roberson Valdez, 16, Dominican Republic: “Roberson has solid body control and is an instinctive hitter who has a natural stroke with projectable power.”
- 2B Alen Hanson, 16, Dominican Republic: “Hanson is an athletic middle infielder with a very projectable body and an upbeat attitude. He projects to have a number of above-average Major League tools. Alen is a line drive hitter who sprays the ball around the field with some extra base power.”
- LHP Orlando Castro, 17, Honduras: “Orlando profiles to be a future starter. He is a three-pitch pitcher (fastball, curveball, changeup) who projects to have solid command of his fastball and above-average off-speed offerings. He has a medium build with room to mature.”
- SS Carlos Esqueda, 17, Mexico: “He is an impressive athlete with outstanding makeup. A dedicated, no fear player who loves the game and competes with a championship attitude. Carlos projects to be a solid Major League shortstop. He is quick, smooth, and has good instincts on the field. He is aggressive on the basepath and with physical maturity, should develop average speed.”
- RHP Richard Montilla, 17, Panama: “Montilla is a solid athlete with room for physical maturity. He is a battler – very competitive and confident on the mound. Richard profiles to be a future starter with the potential for an above-average fastball and curveball.”