Where are they now? And how are they doing? Take 2
First off, I am not with the team in Colorado, but will join the Bucs in Chicago for the weekend series. That said, I don’t have a Pirates update to provide this evening. However, I did make my first visit to Altoona, where I am at Blair County Ballpark waiting for this storm to pass so that I can hopefully get my first look at the Curve.
My visit was sort of two-fold. I had never been here before and have heard great things about the ballpark and staff and wanted to see the facility for myself. Second, I figured this would be a great opportunity to interview some of the new additions to the organization — Tim Alderson and Gorkys Hernandez. Spoke with both at length this afternoon and will be bringing you a feature on each in the coming weeks. Hope that gives you something to look forward to while the big-league club struggles.
Oh, and there is a roller coaster in right field. And a tuna (“Al Tuna”) that comes out of the centerfield fence when the Curve score. I couldn’t make this stuff up.
Anyways, about a week ago I did a checklist of sorts of all the Minor League players acquired by the Pirates in this summer’s trades and updated you to how each was doing. From feedback I received, the list/stats were appreciated, so I figured I would update you on that same group again and do so once a week through the rest of the Minor League season. I know it’s hard for everyone to keep up with what’s going with each of the Minor League affiliates, so hopefully this will help in that respect.
Let’s get started, with all stats accurate through Monday’s games.
- CF Gorkys Hernandez (acquired from Atlanta): He continues to hit leadoff for the Curve and has a .251 average in 59 games. Despite having game-changing speed, Hernandez has swiped just six bases and has a .304 on-base percentage.
- LHP Jeff Locke (acquired from Atlanta): In 12 starts with high-A Lynchburg, Locke is 2-4 with a 4.61 ERA. He has walked 14 and struck out 36 in 52 2/3 innings.
- SS Argenis Diaz (acquired from Boston): Diaz has hit .220 in his first 16 games with Indianapolis. He has not had an extra-base hit and has driven in just one. He has committed three errors.
- RHP Hunter Strickland (acquired from Boston): Since combining to throw a no-hitter in his first start with low-A West Virigina, Strickland hasn’t slowed down much. In three starts (17 innings), Strickland has allowed three earned runs and 11 hits. Strickland has walked two and struck out 13.
- RHP Nate Adcock (acquired from Seattle): Adcock is 2-0 in two games (one start) with high-A Lynchburg. He has allowed two runs and walked one in eight innings. Adcock has struck out six.
- 1B Jeff Clement (acquired from Seattle): Clement already has five homers in 10 games with Triple-A Indianapolis and continues to be a strong candidate for a September call-up. Clement is hitting .308 with eight RBIs.
- RHP Brett Lorin (acquired from Seattle): The righty has logged 12 innings in two starts so far with low-A West Virginia. He’s allowed two earned runs, walked one and struck out seven
- RHP Aaron Pribanic (acquired from Seattle): Pribanic also joined the Power, where he is 1-1 in two games (one start). The right-hander has allowed three runs in eight innings.
- RHP Tim Alderson (acquired from San Francisco): Alderson has been dominant since joining Double-A Altoona. He’s pitched 11 2/3 innings and allowed just one run. He threw six no-hit innings in his most recent start. Alderson has struck out seven and walked two.
- IF Josh Harrison (acquired from Chicago): Harrison has hit .324 in nine games with low-A Lynchburg. He has four extra-base hits and three stolen bases.
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB