Where are they now? And how are they doing? Take 5
The now weekly feature where we check in on those gone elsewhere and those recent arrivals from this summer’s flurry of trades. We’ll have one more update next week after the end of the Minor League seasons. As always, today’s statistics are accurate through Tuesday’s games.
Those now in the Pirates’ system (and remember, we don’t include those with the big-league team since you see them all the time):
- OF Gorkys Hernandez (acquired from Atlanta): You’ll be able to read more about the budding outfielder in a feature I am working on for pirates.com on Thursday (I apologize for the shameless plug). But in the meantime, here are his stats: In 80 games with Double-A Altoona, Hernandez has hit .258 with 18 extra-base hits, 28 RBIs and 44 runs scored. He is nine for 14 in stolen base attempts.
- LHP Jeff Locke (acquired from Atlanta): In 16 starts with high-A Lynchburg, Locke has gone 3-4 with a 4.44 ERA. He has walked 18 and struck out 50 in 75 innings.
- SS Argenis Diaz (acquired from Boston): With Triple-A Indianapolis, Diaz has hit .232 in 37 games. He has just one extra-base hit, though, and six RBIs. In the field, Diaz has committed six errors.
- RHP Hunter Strickland (acquired from Boston): Since the trade, Strickland has made seven starts for low-A West Virginia. He has gone 3-2 with a 4.38 ERA in 37 innings. He has walked six and struck out 22.
- RHP Nate Adcock (acquired from Seattle): With Lynchburg, Adcock has gone 3-2 with a 6.16 ERA in six appearances (three starts). He has struck out 11 and walked six in 19 total innings.
- 1B Jeff Clement (acquired from Seattle): Clement is still expected to be called up to the big leagues this month, likely after Indianapolis finishes its season on Sept. 7. In 25 games with Indianapolis, Clement has hit .221 with seven homers and 22 RBIs. He has really struggled at the plate as of late, however.
- RHP Brett Lorin (acquired from Seattle): In six starts with West Virigina, Lorin has gone 2-1 with a 1.84 ERA. In 29 1/3 innings, Lorin has 23 strikeouts and 10 walks.
- RHP Aaron Pribanic (acquired from Seattle): Pribanic has also been pitching with West Virginia, where he has gone 3-1 in five appearances (four starts). Pribanic has a 2.42 ERA in 26 innings and has walked four while striking out 12.
- RHP Tim Alderson (acquired from San Francisco): The premier pitching prospect that the Pirates acquired, Alderson has gone 3-0 with a 3.48 ERA in six starts with Altoona since the trade. In 33 2/3 innings, Alderson has issued 10 walks and struck out 18.
- IF Josh Harrison (acquired from Chicago): Harrison has split time playing second and third with Lynchburg. At the plate, he has hit .281 in 28 games.
And those we said good-bye to (you’ll see an injury theme here):
- OF Nate McLouth: McLouth has been bothered by a hamstring injury for over a month and is currently still on the DL with the left hamstring strain. In the 56 games he has played with the Braves, McLouth has hit .260 with six homers, 16 doubles and 22 RBIs.
- OF Nyjer Morgan: Morgan is out for the season after fracturing his left hand last week. Before the injury, Morgan hit .351 with 12 extra-base hits and 24 stolen bases for the Nationals.
- LHP Sean Burnett: The lefty reliever has made 27 appearances out of the ‘pen for Washington. He has allowed seven earned runs in 22 1/3 innings.
- 1B Adam LaRoche: Since joining Atlanta, LaRoche has hit .354 in 28 games. He has driven in 19 and gone deep eight times.
- RHP Ian Snell: Snell is still pitching out of the Mariners’ rotation, where he is so far 3-1 with a 5.10 ERA in six starts. In his most recent three starts, Snell has allowed just four earned runs in 16 2/3 innings.
- SS Jack Wilson: After missing almost two weeks in August with a hamstring injury, Wilson has recently returned to the lineup for Seattle. In all, he has hit .203 with five RBIs in 21 games with Seattle.
- 2B Freddy Sanchez: Sanchez is currently on the DL with a right shoulder strain. The DL stint will cost him the chance at reaching 600 plate appearances and therefore automatically vesting his 2010 option. As a result, Sanchez will become a free agent at the end of the year. In the 13 games he has played with the Giants, Sanchez has hit .304 with five RBIs.
- LHP John Grabow: In 16 relief appearances with the Cubs, Grabow has pitched 13 scoreless innings. He has walked nine and struck out eight.
- LHP Tom Gorzelanny: After making four starts for the Cubs, Gorzelanny has since moved to the bullpen. Overall, he is 2-1 with a 5.48 ERA in 21 1/3 innings. Gorzelanny has struck out 21 and walked six.
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB