September 6: Cardinals (81-56) @ Pirates (53-81)
Much has obviously been made about the last 17 years, especially leading up to Sunday, which could be the day the Pirates clinch the franchise’s 17th straight losing season. Not sure where you’ve been if you missed this, but that would set a professional sports record.
17 years, huh? It got me thinking (and researching) since I was actually still in elementary school back in 1993. That obviously puts things in perspective for me; maybe this will put that in perspective for you.
Back in 1993…
- Jurassic Park was the top grossing film of the year, followed by Mrs. Doubtfire. In the music realm, Whitney Houston had the year’s top selling album. David Letterman began his nightly show. Both Walker, Texas Ranger and Saved by the Bell debuted.
- The Dallas Cowboys were Super Bowl Champs. The Toronto Blue Jays defeated the Phillies to take the World Series. The Chicago Bulls completed the first of what would be two three-peats. And the Montreal Canadians were Stanley Cup Champions.
- Notable deaths: Audrey Hepburn, Arthur Ashe, Frank Zappa, Pat Nixon, Thurgood Marshall
- Bill Clinton became the nation’s 42nd president. The World Wide Web was born. The North American Free Trade Agreement was passed. The Blizzard of ’93 (as we kids called it in GA) struck the east coast in March.
- And in the baseball world… the Marlins and Rockies played their inaugural season. Randy Myers saved 53 games for the Cubs. Barry Bonds (Giants) and Frank Thomas (White Sox) took home MVP honors. Mike Piazza (Dodgers) and Tim Salmon (Angels) were named the league’s Rookie of the Year. Jack McDowell (White Sox) and Greg Maddux (Braves) were your Cy Young Award winners.
- Andrew McCutchen was turning seven; Neil Walker was turning eight; GM Neal Huntington was entering his first year working in professional baseball. He was an assistant in Minor League operations for the Expos.
Now that’s some perspective.
- Andrew McCutchen (CF)
- Ramon Vazquez (2B)
- Garrett Jones (1B)
- Lastings Milledge (LF)
- Brandon Moss (RF)
- Neil Walker (3B)
- Ronny Cedeno (SS)
- Jason Jaramillo (C)
- Paul Maholm (LHP)
- Julio Lugo (2B)
- Brendan Ryan (SS)
- Albert Pujols (1B)
- Matt Holliday (LF)
- Ryan Ludwick (RF)
- Troy Glaus (3B)
- Yadier Molina (C)
- Colby Rasmus (CF)
- Joel Pineiro (RHP)
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB