Day 14: Pirates @ Yankees
Coming to you on a blustery, rainy day in Tampa. Oh where, oh where is the Florida weather that was advertised upon my arrival? This is George M. Steinbrenner’s land here. The stadium, the street, they’re all named after the legendary Yankees owner. And in case you forgot that the Yankees won the World Series last year, it’s spray painted on the grass here.
Anyways, here’s your pregame news before the Pirates kick off Grapefruit League action in just over two hours…
- Joel Hanrahan is slated to throw on flat ground (45 feet) back in Bradenton today. This will mark the first time that Hanrahan has thrown since being shut down with an ailing elbow.
- Octavio Dotel threw on flat ground Tuesday and is scheduled to do so again today. He’s slowly working back from the left side soreness that shut him down. He does not expect to take the mound this week, but no one seems concerned about his timetable.
- The following players are scheduled to make the two-hour trip to Orlando on Thursday: Jason Jaramillo, Luke Carlin, Erik Kratz, Tony Sanchez, Pedro Alvarez, Doug Bernier, Jeff Clement, Bobby Crosby, Argenis Diaz, Brian Friday, Andy LaRoche, Steve Pearce, Neil Walker, Delwyn Young, Ryan Church, Gorkys Hernandez, Andrew McCutchen, Lastings Milledge, Brandon Moss, John Raynor, Jose Tabata, Jonathan Van Every.
- For anyone who may be curious, former Pirate John Van Benschoten is not in Major League camp with the Yankees. He signed a Minor League deal with the organization earlier this week.
- Today’s game is going to be televised on MLB Network on on MLB.TV. I believe it’s also on 104.7 FM back in Pittsburgh.
- Take a good look at the Pirates’ lineup today because it could be nearly identical to the one that manager John Russell writes out on April 5. Quite possibly the only amendment needed would be taking Church (DH) out of the No. 5 hole and bumping everyone else up a spot.
- Andrew McCutchen (CF)
- Akinori Iwamura (2B)
- Garrett Jones (RF)
- Ryan Doumit (C)
- Ryan Church (DH)
- Lastings Milledge (LF)
- Jeff Clement (1B)
- Andy LaRoche (3B)
- Ronny Cedeno (SS)
Pitchers: Paul Maholm, Ross Ohlendof, D.J. Carrasco, Chris Jakubauskas, Jack Taschner, Jean Machi
- Derek Jeter (SS)
- Curtis Granderson (CF)
- Mark Teixeira (1B)
- Alex Rodriguez (3B)
- Marcus Thames (DH)
- Jamie Hoffman (RF)
- Brett Gardner (LF)
- Francisco Cervelli (C)
- Ramiro Pena (2B)
Pitchers: Chad Gaudin, Sergio Mitre, Alfredo Aceves, David Robertson
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB