July 21: Brewers (43-52) @ Pirates (33-60)
The Pirates may be 27 games under .500, but they are a respectable 22-22 at PNC Park this season. Go figure, huh?
Here are some more “Go Figure” stats from Tuesday’s game in case you felt overloaded last night:
- Neil Walker finished 5-for-5, becoming the first Pittsburgh rookie to have a five-hit game since John Wehner in 1991; both Walker and Wehner are Pittsburgh natives
- Pedro Alvarez homered twice on Tuesday and has reached base safely in eight straight games. His season average has climbed to .243.
- Alvarez became the first Pirates player since Jeff King (1995) to have two homers before the end of the second inning.
- According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Tuesday was only the third time since 1957 that a team had one rookie have a five-hit game and another rookie have a multi-homer game. It was done by the Rangers in 2007 and by the 2006 Marlins.
- Not since June 8, 1989, had the Pirates scored at least nine runs in the first; it had been since 1893 that the club had scored nine times in the first inning of a home game.
Duke vs. MIL: 3-7 in 15 starts, 81 IP, 114 H, 57 ER, 14 HR, 25 BB, 48 K
Wolf vs. PIT: 8-2 in 16 starts, 106 IP, 92 H, 42 ER, 10 HR, 30 BB, 95 K
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB