Day 14: Rays @ Pirates
After a warm-up with the Manatees on Friday, McKechnie Field is ready to host its first Spring Training game in a few hours. Consider it the middle game of a three-game set between the Rays and Pirates, too, as the two clubs squared off on Saturday and have another game (split squad for Pittsburgh) against each other on Monday.
Here at the ballpark, flags are flying at half staff. It’s a gesture for to honor Chuck Tanner and Bill Lajoie, the members of GM Neal Huntington’s staff who recently passed away. There will be a moment of silence for Tanner before today’s game.
Other morning news:
- Evan Meek threw a 30-pitch bullpen session this morning and felt great, he said afterward. Meek was limited much of last week with minor tightness in his right calf, but that tightness doesn’t seem to be much of an issue anymore. Meek will not throw on Monday and then said he expects to return to the mound on Tuesday either to pitch live batting practice or to make his Grapefruit League debut.
- Lefty Scott Olsen (mild left hamstring strain) remains limited in his workload, too. There hasn’t been any known setback in his recent side sessions, though it’s not known when he will make his first spring appearance.
- The Pirates will have their first split-squad games on Monday, with the Orioles coming to McKechnie Field and part of the Pirates’ club heading to face the Rays in Port Charlotte.
- The following pitchers are scheduled to throw against the Orioles: Paul Maholm (2 innings), Jeff Karstens (2), Tyler Yates (1), Jeff Locke (1), Michael Crotta (1), Justin Wilson (1) and Cesar Valdez (1).
- The following pitchers are scheduled to throw against the Rays: Bryan Morris (2), Fernando Nieve (2), Sean Gallagher (2), Aaron Thompson (2), Kyle McPherson (1).
PIRATES: J. Tabata (LF), N. Walker (2B), A. McCutchen (CF), P. Alvarez (3B), L. Overbay (1B), G. Jones (RF), R. Doumit (C), J. Fields (DH), R. Cedeno (SS)
Pitchers: K. Correia (2), B. Burres (2), J. Hanrahan (1), J. Beimel (1), J. Veras (1), T. Watson (1), C. Leroux (1)
RAYS: D. Jennings (CF), S. Fuld (LF), K. Shoppach (C), M. Joyce (RF), F. Lopez (3B), C. Kotchman (1B), J. Ruggiano (DH), J. Inglett (2B), R. Olmedo (SS)
Pitchers: J. Shieldds, B. Baker, J. Bayliss, C. Bootcheck, R. De Los Santos, B. Gomes, A. Suarez, A. Torres
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB