Day 38: Astros @ Pirates
MLB Network’s 30 Clubs in 30 Days special on the Pirates was on the clubhouse TV this morning. I wasn’t able to hear much of what was said, but a number of the players watched it fairly intently. I did catch a graphic in which Baseball Prospectus predicted the Pirates will finish in 5th place with 71 wins.
As for your morning news…
- In case you missed it on the day off yesterday, right-hander Fernando Nieve was released by the Pirates on Tuesday. The move came one day after Nieve had been reassigned to Minor League camp.
- Also, MLB.com released its list of Top 10 Pirates prospects on Tuesday. You can find the list here.
- The Pirates will honor their 2010 Double-A Altoona club in an on-field ceremony prior to the game against the Astros today. Altoona won the Eastern League Championship last season.
- Right-hander Jose Ascanio (right elbow discomfort) threw another bullpen session on Tuesday without any issue.
- Lefty Joe Beimel (left elbow soreness) threw on flat ground on Tuesday and again today. He said his arm is feeling much better but it’s still up in the air whether Beimel has enough time to get ready by Opening Day. There is no schedule yet for what Beimel will do next, and he expressed a willingness to start the year on the disabled list if it means that Beimel will be healthy for the remainder of the season. The big picture — not April 1 — is the focus here.
- Brad Lincoln (right arm contusion) grabbed his glove on Wednesday morning and headed out to the field to play long toss. The Pirates haven’t announced anything official, but I don’t see a scenario in which Lincoln is headed anywhere but Triple-A Indianapolis to begin the season.
- Righty James McDonald (left side soreness) is slated to throw another bullpen session on Wednesday. His next step has not been announced, though he would have to get into a game pretty soon, I’d imagine, in order to build himself back up to where he can begin the year in the rotation.
- Chris Snyder caught three innings and took several at-bats in a Minor League game at Pirate City on Tuesday. He is not in the lineup on Wednesday, but said he is doing fine.
- The following pitchers will throw in Thursday’s night game against the Orioles: Ross Ohlendorf (five or six innings), Evan Meek, Garrett Olson, Chris Leroux
PIRATES: J. Tabata (LF), N. Walker (2B), A. McCutchen (CF), L. Overbay (1B), M. Diaz (RF), P. Alvarez (3B), R. Doumit (C), R. Cedeno (SS), B. Burres (LHP)
Pitchers: B. Burres, E. Meek, C. Resop, M. Crotta, T. Yates
ASTROS: J. Bourgeois (CF), A. Sanchez (SS), H. Pence (RF), J. Michaels (LF), B. Wallace (1B), C. Johnson (3B), H. Quintero (C), A. Hernandez (2B), J.A. Happ (LHP)
Pitchers: J. Valdez, E. Del Rosario, G. Chacin, W. Wright, S. Wolf
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB