Day 41: Pirates @ Yankees; Snyder hurt again; four more cut
On a quick side note, the change in blog software seems to have lost some previous blog postings somewhere in cyberspace. I’ve been told those are being recovered, so hopefully that is indeed the case. For now, though, that explains why you won’t see any of the blog entries from the past week. Thanks for your patience.
OK, lots to get to today…
- The Pirates reassigned four players to Minor League camp: Brian Burres, Dusty Brown, Corey Wimberly and Andy Marte.
- Chris Snyder was scratched from Saturday’s lineup because of more back soreness. He is getting treatment on his back today, but this does not seem to bode well for Snyder being ready by next Friday. Snyder had just caught his first game (Thursday) after missing two weeks with back issues. The problem now is that Snyder just might not have ample time to get healthy and to get the at-bats needed to be sharp by the start of the season.
- If Snyder is sidelined to begin the year, Ryan Doumit will be your Opening Day catcher and Jason Jaramillo will be the backup. Such a scenario would eliminate all the talk about two or three catchers.
- With Marte out of the corner infield mix, Steve Pearce is expected to be on the Opening Day roster. Manager Clint Hurdle nearly said as much on Saturday morning, though he didn’t want to say it with 100 percent certainty just in case there are any last minute trade or pick up.
- Now that Burres is gone, Jeff Karstens would be the one to step into the rotation if for some reason James McDonald is not ready to start the season. If McDonald is OK to go, Karstens will be the long-man in the bullpen.
- If Karstens is in the ‘pen, the Pirates have two bullpen openings and three relievers left in camp — Chris Leroux, Mike Crotta and Garrett Olson. All three of these relievers would make the club should Karstens have to start the year in the rotation.
- Right-hander James McDonald is set to throw in a Minor League game here in Tampa this afternoon. The Pirates would like to see McDonald throw about 50 pitches in his first outing since March 11.
- Hurdle made things mostly official with the lineup on Saturday, too. Andrew McCutchen will hit third and Jose Tabata gets the spot at the top of the order. Lyle Overbay will hit cleanup and Pedro Alvarez will slot into the No. 5 spot.
- Don’t forget that today’s game is on FSN Pittsburgh at 1:05 pm ET
More specifics on all of this news will be on pirates.com in a bit. I have to head down to the clubhouse to get reaction on some of this news and will then be up to write the full stories for the main site.
PIRATES: Jose Tabata (LF), Neil Walker (2B), Andrew McCutchen (CF), Lyle Overbay (1B), Pedro Alvarez (3B), Garrett Jones (RF), Ronny Cedeno (SS), Jason Jaramillo (C), Kevin Correia (RHP)
Pitchers: K. Correia, M. Crotta, J. Veras
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB