Game 11: Brewers (5-5) @ Pirates (5-5)
It’s raining now, and the forecast doesn’t bode well for it to get much better as day turns to night. With the Brewers scheduled to come back here later in the season (August 22-24), these clubs would have ample opportunity to make up the game. Stay tuned.
Some news and notes…
- Lefty Joe Beimel pitched an inning for Triple-A Indianapolis on Monday and again on Tuesday. This is the first back-to-back work that Beimel has gotten since last year. He never had the chance to pitch on consecutive days during Spring Training. He combined to strike out three and didn’t allow a hit or walk in the two innings.
- Beimel should be ready to join the big league club soon. And remember, not only will the Pirates have to send down a reliever to make room for him, but they will also have to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.
- Right-hander Jose Ascanio isn’t as close. He made his first rehab appearance with high-A Bradenton on Monday and allowed three earned runs on two hits and a walk in 1 2/3 innings. Four of the five outs he recorded came via a strike out.
- The Pirates can leave Ascanio in a rehab assignment for a while, but when they are forced to reinstate him, Ascanio is out of options. That means he would have to join the Major League club immediately or be put through waivers.
- Rudy Owens’ Triple-A debut was a solid one. Pitching on Monday night, Owens allowed one earned run on seven hits in seven innings. He struck out five and didn’t walk a batter. He threw 58 of his 83 pitches for strikes. Said Owens afterward: “The first AAA start is always one of those big deals, same with last year in Double-A with the first start. I got out there and I faced [Stephen] Strasburg and it couldn’t be more nerve-wracking. Just getting that first win out of the way and doing well just shows that I can compete here. “
- Seeing that this is April and the Brewers are back at PNC Park, anybody remember this from last year? Probably not a three-game series that Pirate fans are eager to relive.
- Hope you find the new blog look easy to read and follow. I was ready to make a change and thought that this was a user-friendly template. If you have any concerns, thoughts or recommendations, feel free to let me know.
PIRATES: J. Tabata (LF), N. Walker (2B), A. McCutchen (CF), L. Overbay (1B), P. Alvarez (3B), R. Doumit (C), G. Jones (RF), R. Cedeno (SS), K. Correia (RHP)
BREWERS: R. Weeks (2B), C. Gomez (CF), R. Braun (LF), P. Fielder (1B), C. McGehee (3B), M. Kotsay (RF), R. Betancourt (SS), J. Lucroy (C), S. Marcum (RHP)
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB