Game 13: Pirates (5-7) @ Reds (8-4)
Tarp is on the field and it’s plenty overcast here at Great American Ball Park. The latest word is that this game should get in tonight, though there is supposed to be rain around the area all evening. We’ll see…
Lots of news and notes from pregame, though I’m going to keep this short so I can get work done for the main site.
- Lefty Joe Beimel has joined the team, fresh off a pair of outings in Triple-A. Garrett Olson was designated for assignment to make room for Beimel. Manager Clint Hurdle wanted to keep Daniel McCutchen to be a long guy in the bullpen, and he said he felt Mike Crotta deserved the chance to stay in the ‘pen.
- McCutchen is needed for the long relief role because Jeff Karstens has now officially been named the starter for Sunday.
- With Olson gone, the Pirates still have just one lefty in the bullpen.
- Biggest story today is the lineup. You can take a look at the batting order below, but you’ll notice that there was a lot of shuffling around. Andrew McCutchen is back hitting leadoff, with Jose Tabata, Lyle Overbay and Neil Walker following, in that order. Hurdle made it sound like this isn’t just a one-time lineup experiment, so you can expect it to stay this way at least for a while — especially as it concerns McCutchen’s placement.
- Keep an eye on whether batting leadoff will allow McCutchen more opportunities to steal bases. He has yet to swipe a base in two attempts.
- It’s Jackie Robinson Day today, so you’ll see everyone wearing jerseys with the No. 42 on them.
PIRATES: A. McCutchen (CF), J. Tabata (LF), L. Overbay (1B), N. Walker (2B), P. Alvarez (3B), G. Jones (RF), C. Snyder (C), R. Cedeno (SS), C. Morton (RHP)
REDS: D. Stubbs (CF), E. Renteria (SS), J. Votto (B), S. Rolen (3B), J. Gomes (LF), J. Bruce (RF), M. Cairo (2B), R. Hanigan (C), B. Arroyo (RHP)
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB