Game 20: Nationals (9-9) @ Pirates (8-11)
New infielder Brandon Wood is in Pittsburgh and available for Saturday’s game, if needed. He is not, however, in the starting lineup. Wood will be wearing No. 2 — a number most recently worn by shortstops Jack Wilson and Bobby Crosby.
Other news and notes:
- Infielder Pedro Ciriaco didn’t even get the chance to unpack his bags… or see a game played. After being called up as a reinforcement for Friday’s game, Ciriaco was optioned back to Triple-A on Saturday after Wood arrived.
- I was conducting a Q&A with Joe Beimel for an upcoming Pirates Magazine edition and asked him what his favorite thing was about Pittsburgh, being that he’s pitched for the Pirates twice and spent time at Duquesne University. His much-appropriate answer: “Not the weather.”
- I mention this because after a beautiful day in the city, clouds are rolling in. The rain is expected to arrive right around game time.
- Now that the Pirates have lost Monday’s off day, the club will play 29 games in the next 30 days.
- Outfielder Starling Marte drove in six runs in Double-A Altoona’s 15-inning win on Friday night. You can read what Marte said about the feat here.
PIRATES: A. McCutchen (CF), J. Tabata (LF), L. Overbay (1B), N. Walker (2B), G. Jones (RF), R. Doumit (C), P. Alvarez (3B), R. Cedeno (SS), J. Karstens (RHP)
NATIONALS: D. Espinosa (2B), R. Ankiel (CF), J. Werth (RF), A. LaRoche (1B), W. Ramos (C), M. Morse (LF), I. Desmond (SS), J. Hairston (3B), L. Hernandez (RHP)
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB