Pirates to draft UCLA’s Gerrit Cole
The Pirates will make right-hander Gerrit Cole the No. 1 overall pick in the First-Year Player Draft, which begins at 7 pm ET tonight. A source confirmed that selection to MLB.com, and you can find the story here.
A few other links that might be helpful as we get ready for a Draft that will run for three days:
- Here is a recent story on Cole written by MLB.com’s Tom Singer after Cole made a start against Arizona State.
- Here is an overall Draft preview on the Pirates’ plans this year.
- Here is MLB.com’s Draft tracker, which lists 1,485 potential picks and has video and analysis on the best of that bunch.
- Here is analysis of Jonathan Mayo’s top 50 Draft prospects. Mayo is MLB.com’s Draft and prospect expert and will be providing live analysis all night on MLB Network and MLB.com.
- And this will take you to MLB.com’s Draft central, where you can find stories, videos, rankings and more.
For those of you who will be interested in coverage tonight, you can watch the Draft on MLB Network or on MLB.com. Coverage begins with a pre-Draft show at 6 p.m. ET. As the night goes on, you will see multiples stories about the Pirates’ night on pirates.com.
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB