A guide to the Winter Meetings
As you should know by now, baseball’s annual Winter Meetings will commence Monday in the spacious Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center. This is the one time each year when baseball executives and employees from all 30 clubs ascend upon the same location. Agents and media members come, too, which all leads to accelerated offseason activity and plenty of rumors.
The Cardinals will arrive with an abbreviated wish list, which you can read more about here in this story on cardinals.com.
The week isn’t all about rumors and transactions, however. There will be several special announcements made, as well as media availability with managers and general managers. For those curious about the coverage you can expect, here’s a look at some of the highlights of the schedule. And yes, MLB.com will be on site to cover it all, as well as any breaking news.
Monday, Dec. 3:
- Hall of Fame Pre-Integration Era results to be announced (10 a.m. CT)
- Special announcement regarding baseball’s Stand Up 2 Cancer initiative (2 p.m.)
Tuesday, Dec. 4:
- J.G. Taylor Spink (excellence in writing) winner announced (TBD)
- MLB.com’s GIBBY (Greatness in Baseball Yearly) award winners announced (1 p.m.)
- Manager Mike Matheny’s media availability (4 p.m.)
Wednesday, Dec. 5:
- Ford C. Frick Award (excellence in broadcasting) winner announced (TBD)
Thursday, Dec. 6:
- Rule 5 Draft (9 a.m.)
* GM John Mozeliak will meet with local media each afternoon, and MLB.com will have a story after each availability session.
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB