Winter Warm-Up Day 1 Recap
Any news (and yes, there was some) to come out of the Cardinals’ Winter Warm-Up event on Saturday was dwarfed by the shock last night that the great Stan Musial had died at the age of 92. I hope you have taken some time to sift through the tribute stories on cardinals.com. There are several pieces on the website that reflect upon the life of an unmatched St. Louis icon.
With that content dominating the website, I thought I would provide links to the Winter Warm-Up content here for those who are interested. Several items of interest came up yesterday during conversations with players in town for the three-day baseball event. Those include:
- Starters Chris Carpenter and Jaime Garcia each expressed cautious optimism about their progress this winter. Spring Training will be an important test for both, though the Cardinals have contingency plans in place should either not be ready come Opening Day.
- Adam Wainwright let his T-shirt do the talking when asked about his contract status. Wainwright is entering the final year of his current deal with St. Louis.
- General manager John Mozeliak described second base as Daniel Descalso’s “job to lose” this spring. Matt Carpenter is also in that mix.
- All reports on Rafael Furcal’s status continue to be positive, Mozeliak reported.
- Carpenter talks about his time skating with the Blues this offseason.
There will be much more coming from Winter Warm-Up today, including additional reaction to Musial’s passing.
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB