Additional Draft picks poised to sign
By Jenifer Langosch/MLB.com
The Cardinals have wasted no time entering into negotiations with members of their 2013 Draft class. As first reported by MLB.com on Wednesday, the club’s top three picks — LHP Marco Gonzales (No. 19), LHP Rob Kaminsky (No. 28) and SS Oscar Mercado (No. 57) — have agreed to signing bonuses already (click story link for more details on bonus figures). Those deals will be officially announced next week after each of the three completes a physical in St. Louis.
On Thursday, MLB.com learned that three later-round picks — SS Malik Collymore (10th round), RHP Steven Farinaro (11th round) and OF Ricardo Bautista (12th round) are nearing agreements that would earn them bonuses of more than $100,000. There is significance in that, as any player taken after the 10th round who sign for more than $100,000 has that difference added to the team’s pool of Draft funds. This will be the case with Farinaro and Bautista. The slot value assigned to the Cardinals’ 10th-round pick was $135,300. Collymore’s deal will pay him more than that.
The Cardinals have a total Draft pool of $6.9079 million this year. The organization is willing to exceed that by as much as five percent. That would result in a tax, but no loss of future Draft picks. Such strategy gives the Cardinals as much as an extra $345,395 to use.
The Cardinals were able to negotiate aggressively with these three high school draftees because the organization saved some of pool money by drafting several college players on the second day of the Draft (rounds 3-10). The Cardinals won’t have to allocate “slot” money to some of those second-day picks, and that freed up the money to lure high school players from college commitments.
Collymore, who resides in Ontario, Canada, had committed to play at the University of Missouri. Farinaro was set to attend UCLA. Bautista, who recently graduated from high school in Puerto Rico, was one of the youngest players available in the Draft. He won’t turn 18 until December.
Here is a quick update on the first 13 players drafted by the Cardinals last week:
- 1st round: LHP Marco Gonzales (agreed to $1.85 million bonus; deal not yet official)
- 1st round: LHP Rob Kaminsky (agreed to $1.7853 million bonus; deal not yet official)
- 2nd round: SS Oscar Mercado (agreed to $1.5 million bonus; deal not yet official)
- 3rd round: RHP Mike Mayers
- 4th round: 2B Mason Katz
- 5th round: LHP Ian McKinney (signed)
- 6th round: LHP Jimmy Reed (signed)
- 7th round: SS Chris Rivera (signed)
- 8th round: RHP Andrew Pierce (signed)
- 9th round: RHP Nick Petree (signed)
- 10th round: SS Malik Collymore (agreed to terms; deal not yet official)
- 11th round: RHP Steven Farinaro (agreed to terms; deal not yet official)
- 12th round: OF Ricardo Bautista (agreed to terms; deal no yet official)
For a full list of drafted players and their status, click here.
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB