September 5: Cardinals (80-59) @ Reds (78-62)
We’ll get to the update that everyone wants first — Allen Craig flew back to St. Louis on Thursday for an MRI; that MRI came back showing no fracture in his left foot. That’s a huge relief to the Cardinals, who were bracing for the possibility of a fracture perhaps ending Craig’s season.
The Cardinals do not have a definitive timetable for Craig’s return, but they do believe he’ll be back this year. In the meantime, Wednesday’s star, Matt Adams, will get regular playing time at first base. Tonight he’ll be tested by a lefty, as the Reds have activated Tony Cingrani from the disabled list. Also, David Freese is likely to get some pregame work at first base in the coming days just in case the Cardinals need another option there.
Against the lefty Cingrani, manager Mike Matheny is going with the right-handed hitting Ryan Jackson (SS), Tony Cruz (C) and Shane Robinson (CF) in today’s lineup.
One final perspective on last night’s two-homer performance by Adams: Here are several nuggets that Elias Sports Bureau provided in order to add to the context:
- Adams is the first player in Cardinals history to hit two extra-inning homers in the same game; he is the second MLB player to do it this season (John Mayberry Jr did so on June 4)
- Before this season, the last Major Leaguer to accomplish the feat was Baltimore’s Mike Young in 1987
- Adams is the first player in MLB history to ever hit two homers in the 14th inning or later in a game.
- And lastly, he is the first player with two extra-inning, go-ahead homers in one game since 1943, when Vern Stephens did it for the St. Louis Browns.
And as for your video content from yesterday, here’s a rundown of the clips you may want to check out:
- September 4, Pulse of the Postseason — with appearances from Chris Carpenter, Matt Carpenter and, of course, Adams (link)
- Former Cardinals pitcher Al Hrabosky sits down to discuss the NL Central race (link)
- Postgame on-field interview with Matt Carpenter, who finished with three hits and tied Rogers Hornsby with his 46th double this season (link)
- Adams meets with the media after his historic night (link)
- Matt Carpenter (2B)
- Shane Robinson (CF)
- Matt Holliday (LF)
- Carlos Beltran (RF)
- David Freese (3B)
- Matt Adams (1B)
- Tony Cruz (C)
- Ryan Jackson (SS)
- Lance Lynn (RHP)
- Shin-soo Choo (CF)
- Brandon Phillips (2B)
- Joey Votto (1B)
- Jay Bruce (RF)
- Ryan Ludwick (LF)
- Todd Frazier (3B)
- Zack Cozart (SS)
- Ryan Hanigan (C)
- Tony Cingrani (LHP)
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB