Tenders and more…
Well, now that the Cardinals addressed their shortstop need and Mizzou took care of business while I was cruising the Caribbean, it’s time to talk tenders. If you missed this cardinals.com story yesterday, here are the essentials:
- The Cardinals have four arbitration-eligible players (John Axford, Jon Jay, Daniel Descalso and Peter Bourjos) and have until 10:59 p.m. CT tonight to tender or non-tender each. (Remember, tender is just a fancy word for “offer contract” and players become arbitration eligible if they have between 3-6 years of Major League service time.)
- Descalso, Jay and Bourjos are locks to be tendered. Axford is the exception. While the Cardinals have expressed openness in talking to Axford about a return, they do not want to be locked into the salary that would come through the arbitration process. Non-tendering Axford (who made $5 million in 2013) would add him to the free-agent pool. The Cardinals, along with 29 other teams, could then negotiate with him outside of the arbitration parameters.
While waiting for the Cardinals to make their tender announcements, here are some other links that might be of interest to you:
- Don’t forget that the Peoria Chiefs — the Cardinals’ low-A affiliate — continue to host an online auction to raise money for recent tornado victims in central Illinois. The Cardinals donated several items (including tickets!) to the auction. Click here to see what you can bid on.
- Baseball America named the Cardinals its Organization of the Year in 2013 (story here).
- The Memphis City Council meets on Tuesday to vote on an agreement that would have the city of Memphis purchase AutoZone Park, home of the Cardinals’ Triple-A club. As a part of this deal, the Cardinals would take ownership of the Redbirds organization.
- The Cardinals will not put 2014 single-game tickets on sale until next calendar year, but beginning on Friday, fans can purchase five- and 10-game ticket packages. Information on the available packages can be found by clicking here.
- And since ’tis the season for spending, the Cardinals are already selling tickets to their January Winter Warm-Up event. That information is here.
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB