Unveiling the prospects…
Beginning Monday, MLB.com began its annual process of unveiling its various top prospects list. There will be eight daily positional lists leading up to the overall top 100 prospect coming out on Thursday, Jan. 23. Here is the roll out schedule:
- Jan. 13: Top 10 shortstops (list here)
- Jan. 14: Top 10 left-handed pitchers (list here)
- Jan. 15: Top 10 right-handed pitchers (list here)
- Jan. 16: Top 10 catchers (list here)
- Jan. 17: Top 10 first basemen (list here)
- Jan. 20: Top 10 second baseman (list here) — No. 1 on the list is Kolten Wong (feature)
- Jan. 21: Top 10 third baseman (list here)
- Jan. 22: Top 10 outfielders (list here) — No. 2 on the list is Oscar Taveras (feature)
The shortstop list (unsurprisingly) did not include any Cardinals players. My challenge to you is to predict which of the upcoming lists the Cardinals will dent. Hint: There should be (at least) two obvious answers. For bonus points, try to determine what placement (1-10) your selection will occupy.
The Cardinals dotted all sorts of prospect lists going into 2013 and were considered by many in the industry to boast the best farm system. Of course, it took depleting much of that upper-level talent to get the Cardinals to the World Series last season, and that cost several young players their rookie eligibility. Anyone who has exhausted that eligibility (i.e. Michael Wacha, Carlos Martinez, etc.) cannot be considered for the 2014 prospect list.
As each of these lists are published, I will update this entry to provide a link to each.
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB