Cardinals set NLCS roster
Comfortable in trimming their bullpen back to seven, the Cardinals have opted to add catcher A.J. Pierzynski onto their 25-man roster for the National League Championship Series. The organization opened that roster spot by removing lefty Sam Freeman, who walked the only two batters he faced in the NL Division Series.
By adding Pierzynski as a third catcher, the Cardinals allow themselves the flexibility to use either the left-handed hitting Pierzynski or the right-handed hitting Tony Cruz in a pinch-hit spot. With only two catchers last round, the Cardinals had to hold off on using Cruz in case he was needed for emergency catching duty later in the game. He never was.
Here is the full roster breakdown:
- Starting pitchers: Adam Wainwright, Lance Lynn, John Lackey and Shelby Miller
- Relievers: Trevor Rosenthal, Pat Neshek, Marco Gonzales, Randy Choate, Carlos Martinez, Seth Maness, Michael Wacha
- Catchers: Yadier Molina, Tony Cruz, Pierzynski
- Infielders: Matt Adams, Kolten Wong, Jhonny Peralta, Matt Carpenter, Daniel Descalso, Pete Kozma
- Outfielders: Matt Holliday, Jon Jay, Randal Grichuk, Oscar Taveras, Peter Bourjos
Follow me on Twitter (@LangoschMLB), Instagram (LangoschMLB) and Facebook (Jenifer Langosch for Cardinals.com)