Only six more weeks…
As St. Louis continues to deal with (sub) freezing temperatures, I hope it comes as a comfort to you that six weeks from today, the Cardinals will be holding their first official workout of 2015. I know that will do little to adjust the thermometer here, but consider it the first sign of a coming spring.
It has been a relatively quiet offseason for the Cardinals since mid-November, when the club made its biggest move (to date, at least) in dealing for outfielder Jason Heyward and reliever Jordan Walden. Publically, the organization said that the move addressed the club’s biggest deficiencies. But could there be another big move ahead? That was something I explored yesterday in this story on cardinals.com.
As you debate whether the cost (dollars and talent) is worth the gain (top-end starting pitching), here is reminder of some other key dates ahead between now and Spring Training:
- January 16: Unsigned arbitration-eligible players will exchange salary figures with the Cardinals. As of this moment, the Cardinals have four such players — Lance Lynn, Jon Jay, Peter Bourjos and Tony Cruz
- January 16: Cardinals to host Hot Stove LIVE! (featuring Kolten Wong, Heyward, Mike Matheny and others) at Ballpark Village (6 pm CT) — more info here
- January 16-19: Cardinals Caravan travels to six states — more info here
- January 17-19: Cardinals Winter Warm-Up at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch hotel — more info here
- January 18: St. Louis Baseball Writers dinner at the Renaissance hotel — more info here
- February 1-21: Arbitration hearings for still unsigned players
- February 19: Final date for pitchers/catchers to report to Spring Training
Also, if you’re interested in following winter ball activity that is still ongoing, all those statistics are just one click away at this page.
Another reminder, too, that this blog will be used to bring you daily news once Spring Training kicks off. In the meantime, for news, visit cardinals.com, where there are new stories posted daily.You can also find regular updates on Facebook (here) and Twitter (here).