Results tagged ‘ Chi-Hung Cheng ’
Final 28-man rosters for the upcoming World Baseball Classic were released on Tuesday, and the Pirates have nine players that will be participating:
- Ian Snell (Puerto Rico): Snell is one of three starters for Team Puerto Rico and will be starting the second game his team plays.
- Ramon Vazquez (Puerto Rico): Vazquez, who signed a two-year deal with the Pirates this winter, is expected to be the team’s starting third baseman.
- Dave Davidson (Canada): Davidson, who pitched for the Canadian team in the 2008 Olympics, will be coming out of the bullpen for Team Canada again.
- Joshua Hill (Australia): The right-hander started at Double-A Altoona last year, finishing 4-11 with a 4.53 ERA in 22 appearances (21 starts).
- Paul Mildren (Australia): Mildren, who was signed by the Pirates this offseason, will be making his second appearance in the Classic.
- Eliecer Navarro (Panama): Navarro is one of 13 pitchers on the Panamian team. The 21-year-old lefty pitched for the Pirates’ Domincan Summer League team last year.
- Gift Ngoepe (South Africa): The 19-year-old infielder was signed by the Pirates last fall.
- Chi-Hung Cheng (Chinese Taipei): Cheng was another offseason acquisition by the Pirates, though he has never pitched above Single-A after being signed by the Blue Jays in ’03.
- Raymond Chang (China): After being acquired by the Pirates midseason, Chang pitched in five games last year for Double-A Altoona.
The Pirates will also be represented by bullpen coach Luis Dorante, who will serve in the same capacity for the Venezuelan team.
All information regarding the World Baseball Classic can be found on MLB.com’s official WBC site.