Results tagged ‘ John Gourley ’
Shortstop Jack Wilson sought out the media on Wednesday so that he could publically apologize for some of his comments made on Tuesday afternoon, just minutes after hearing that teammates Sean Burnett and Nyjer Morgan had been traded. For those who may have missed it, here is what Wilson said yesterday.
Wilson was understandably frustrated, having seen the Pirates trade away teammates over and over again during his tenure here. But it was the tone he used and what could be perceived as negativity toward Pirates management that he wanted to step away from after reading what he had said the day after…
“I really didn’t sleep last night. I think some of my comments were pretty harsh,” Wilson said. “When you’re here and you’re in the moment and you’re talking to guys and everyone is bummed out, you tend to maybe lose your head a little bit and vent. A lot of things I said, I thought about last night when talking with my wife and they were pretty inaccurate I would say. I definitely don’t want to be that guy who is butting heads with the organization or causing any type of negativity. I apologize for that. I haven’t talked to Neal [Huntington] or anything like that, but that’s not the player I want to be. That’s not the person I want to be for the Pittsburgh Pirates. I’m definitely passionate about winning, about being a Pirate and sometimes it comes out in a negative way. For that, I apologize for going against the organization.”
Other news and notes for the day:
- Jeff Salazar has arrived at PNC Park, but he has not been added to the roster yet because of what is being described as extenuating cicumstances. Manager John Russell said he couldn’t comment on the situation, but we are expected to be notified closer to game time what’s going on and when/if Salazar will be added. Salazar said he’s under the impression that he’ll be available tonight. UPDATE 6:20 pm: Salazar has been activated and is available to play on Wednesday.
- Craig Monroe has cleared waivers and been given his unconditional release.
- The Pirates have signed third-round Draft pick Evan Chambers. He has been assigned to begin his professional career with short season State College. Chambers, 20, is a center fielder drafted from Hillsborough (Fla.) Community College.
- The Pirates have also signed SS John Gourley (13th round) and RHP Ryan Beckham (18th round). Gourley was drafted out of high school. The Pirates have now agreed to terms with 15 of 51 players.
- Joel Hanrahan arrived in the clubhouse at about 3:45 pm today, only to be greeted with a bear hug from Delwyn Young. Hanrahan’s transition should be a bit smoother considering he already knows Young, both LaRoches and John Grabow.
- Russell is wasting no time getting Garrett Jones into the lineup, putting him in left and in the No. 3 spot on Wednesday. Russell emphasized that Jones will get plenty of opportunity to show that he could be an everyday player, which suggests that he will likely be a more regular starter than Eric Hinske was.
- Three players from Double-A Altoona have been selected to play in the Eastern League All-Star Game. Those include LHP Daniel Moskos, SS Brian Friday and OF/1B Jason Delaney
- Andy LaRoche is out of the lineup for nothing more than just a day to rest.
- Andrew McCutchen (CF)
- Freddy Sanchez (2B)
- Garrett Jones (LF)
- Adam LaRoche (1B)
- Brandon Moss (RF)
- Ramon Vazquez (SS)
- Jason Jaramillo (C)
- Jack Wilson (SS)
- Virgil Vasquez (RHP)
- Sam Fuld (LF)
- Ryan Theriot (SS)
- Derrek Lee (1B)
- Milton Bradley (RF)
- Jake Fox (3B)
- Kosuke Fukodome (CF)
- Geovany Soto (C)
- Andres Blanco (2B)
- Randy Wells (RHP)