Results tagged ‘ Mike Koplove ’
Garrett Jones wasn’t able to snag Player of the Month honors for July (Ryan Ludwick of the Cardinals did), but the outfielder/first baseman was named the Rookie of the Month after his monstrous offensive month in which he led the NL in home runs (10) and slugging percentage (.700).
Not bad for a guy who made his season debut for the team on the final day of June. More on Jones’ reaction to the honor coming on pirates.com shortly.
As for today’s other news, notes and randomness…
- Right-hander Craig Hansen was in Pittsburgh today to have his monthly nerve test. Hansen revealed that he has been diagnosed with parsonage turner syndrome, which has taken away his strength in his right shoulder and limited his range of motion. There are still a whole bunch of unknowns about his recovery process, which Hansen said research shows could be seven months to five years. Hansen will not pitch again this season, though he is optimistic of a return for 2010.
- The Pirates traded RHP Mike Koplove to the Mariners for SS Deybis Benitez. Koplove has been pitching for Triple-A Indianapolis since mid-season and had been one of the Indians’ most reliable relievers. He went 3-1 with a 2.35 ERA in 22 relief appearances. Benitez has been assigned to low-A West Virginia.
- Double-A catcher Steve Lerud has been activated from the Curve’s disabled list.
- Gift Ngoepe, the South African infielder signed by the Pirates last fall, will be featured in the upcoming issue of Sports Illustrated. The issue will be available starting on Wednesday. Gary Smith, who in my opinion is one of the best sportswriters I’ve ever read, penned the story. Ngoepe is currently hitting .259 for the Gulf Coast League Pirates.
- With a win on Tuesday, Zach Duke will reach the 10-win mark. Remember how last season no Pirates starter reached double digits in win? Duke, Ross Ohlendorf (9-8) and Paul Maholm (6-6) all have a shot to do so this year.
- The Pirates enter Tuesday’s game against the D-backs not having scored against Arizona in the last 19 innings the two teams have played.
- Andrew McCutchen (CF)
- Lastings Milledge (LF)
- Garrett Jones (RF)
- Ryan Doumit (C)
- Steve Pearce (1B)
- Andy LaRoche (3B)
- Ramon Vazquez (3B)
- Ronny Cedeno (SS)
- Zach Duke (LHP)
- Stephen Drew (SS)
- Ryan Roberts (2B)
- Justin Upton (RF)
- Mark Reynolds (3B)
- Gerardo Parra (LF)
- Chris Snyder (C)
- Chad Tracy (1B)
- Chris Young (CF)
- Yusmeiro Petit (RHP)
Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB